Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Hot Air Balloon Cake Pops

Remember the Hot Air Balloon Baby Shower? Well, that was for her family. Next, we had one for her friends and church members! But I decided to go all crazy and make cake pops for this one. Keep in mind that I had only made cake balls twice at this point…but I found a reader-posted picture on Bakerella's site and went from there.


Not that great, I know. I started with a tear-shaped ball, dipped white first; let it set. Then yellow and blue. The basket is made from a section of Tootsie Roll. I highly recommend poking a hole through these before trying to slide them up the stick. I then use melted chocolate to draw on the ropes and connect the basket to the balloon.

One thing I learned about cake pops…I used a confetti cake (stirred sprinkles into the batter before baking). Because of the browned outside of the baked cake, the rolled balls looked entirely brown, with only bare hints of the sprinkles. Bummer. But lesson learned! Next time, I'll trim off the browned parts.

Definitely not my best work, but it was really fun and tasted amazing!

No comments: